Thursday, January 9, 2014

I Choose "Adventure"

2014 has broken over the threshold and a new year begins and brings with it 365 new doors to open and paths to travel. Hmmm.. One of my favorite sayings is that "God never closes one door that He doesn't open another." It is with wonder and anticipation I approach the doors that will open and the paths I will wander this year.
With our house sold and our new home being mobile it is an unfamiliar feeling of being a little lost and unsettled that I begin this new year. I feel a little like the teen who just graduated.. everyone wants to know what her plans are and she wants to sound grown up and confident, but she doesn't know the answer :)
Here we are 8 days on this journey already and I have found myself in 3 different states.  Cherishing time with family and friends that I may not see for several months and grieving a bit at that thought. Sharing the grief of the loss of a family friend and realizing anew how fragile and uncertain life is.
Then barely able to contain the excitement as I made reservations to leave the ice and snow for sunshine, beaches and new friends and adventures.
The persistence of winter storms has caused us to park the motor home and take to the air for our first travel adventure of the year. One door closed another opened.
While our hearts desire would have taken us to PA to visit our daughter's family collecting hugs we will find ourselves walking in sunshine and sand in the state of Florida. My mind cannot help but wonder who and what awaits us there.
My daughter wrote a blog a few days ago challenging her readers to pick one word that they would want to have for their life goal in the coming year.
Mine would have to be 'Adventure.' My first thought was that this is the year of being unsettled. But I refuse to start my year in a state of negativeness so choose to look ahead to a year of new beginnings and ADVENTURE!
As I look down the road of 2014 I can imagine that the paths behind my doors are going to lead to new destinations, fellowship and commitment. Some life decisions will be made as I walk those paths. Some I will step through with trepidation while others I will run through with wings beneath my feet. Some I will stand on the threshold asking for clarity to walk ahead or turn away. I know that the paths I take and the choices I make will not only effect me.
It is with that in mind that I remind myself of the need of being still. Listening to that still small voice that gives warning and direction becomes my compass. Taking time to just be quiet and wait. Life and its busyness can be so confusing that a time of resting the soul is needed. Sometimes we just need to set on the bench along side the path and listen and wait for the clarity to continue.
Some paths I have already made commitments to walk and it will be interesting and exciting to see the timing for those doors to open and the prep that will come before.
It is important to note that not all paths are  necessarily bad or good. Sometimes the path chosen just isn't the most direct route to the most desired destination. One direction may take me to the same spot eventually as another but the time of arrival may take longer, thus delaying the joy of reaching the final destination and the rest and peace that comes with it! Sometimes God arranges a detour to prepare my heart for that which awaits me at the end of the path.
So I invite you to join me as I prepare for the adventure of a lifetime. Walking my path with all its twists, turns,  hills and valleys. The pauses to enjoy the view, lessons learned and new friends I meet along the way. Let's make 2014 a year to remember:)
By the way. ..;"What is Your word? "

No comments:

Post a Comment