Tuesday, March 6, 2018

2018 WALK FOR HOPE

2018 WALK FOR HOPE









WHEN I DID MY FIRST WALK IN 2013 I CHALLENGED MYSELF
TO DO DO THIS AGAIN IN MY 70TH YEAR. WHY?,YOU MIGHT
ASK. I DON'T REALLY KNOW OTHER THAN IT SOUNDED LIKE A
GOOD CHALLENGE ( AND 70 PROBABLY SOUNDED REALLY OLD
AT THAT TIME) BUT, IF YOU KNOW ME AT ALL "I AM ALWAYS
UP FOR A CHALLENGE."THE MAGIC DAY HAS COME AND GONE,
THE WALKING SHOES ARE ON, THE FITBIT IS CHARGED AND
THE TRAILS AWAIT!"
Why do I walk the 3Day? I walk it in honor of the 400 names I now carry
on my Tutu and for the new names I will obtain in my training this year.
Men,women and children who have been affected by the monster we call
cancer.The challenge is real. 60 miles is a long walk and the hours required
to train are many. It is a commitment I don't make lightly because once the
commitment is made the entire 60 miles becomes the goal. NO SHORTCUTS,
as those I honor, who fight this monster, are required to endure every hour of
treatment. So, in good health, I will walk strong in their honor.There are many
who do this walk and are not physically able to complete the full 60 miles.
They are on the trail, the research money has been raised (each participant
is required to raise $2300) and their commitment to that ultimate goal is no
different than mine. It's not a race, it is not a "contest" it IS hundreds of
participants with the same goal.

My reward comes in the name of HOPE. The HOPE that comes from each
research breakthrough from the monies donated. The HOPE I see in the eyes
of those who share their stories trusting that I care,and that each mile I walk
is in their honor of the friend or lovedone whose story they shared.
Today I carried my first new name home. It is always a humbling experience
as I acknowledge that the person I'm walking away from has opened his/her
heart and entrusted me with a story they hold dear.
When my phone 'pings' with the announcement "A Donation has been made"
no matter how large or small, my heart smiles, my steps seem lighter and I
uttera prayer of thanksgiving.for those who will be blessed by it. It never gets
old,routine or mundane.

It has been a couple of years since I 'hit the trail' and there have been several
times that I have doubted that I would be able to accept that challenge due to health issues. In December we came to Arizona to take advantage of the sunshine and stay active. After joining the Walkers of Palm Gardens for a couple desert walks, my husband, and most ardent supporter said, "I think you could do the 3Day again" Unknown to him I had made that same decision. (I love it when we think alike!)

I made the call, registration has been paid and the excitement of a new adventure stirs within me. I invite you to share your story and a name for the Tutu!! (No donation required) and as always you may join me as a 'Vessel of Hope" by making a donation on the link below.
www.the3day.org/goto/lauramoody

Walking Strong because EVERYONE DESERVES A LIFETIME



No comments:

Post a Comment