Thursday, January 18, 2018

Challenge to Simplify

Living in a small home, in a "retired community" is a new experience and brings with it many opportunities for learning and enjoying. Swimming, exercise class, pool, line dancing, writers club, Bible Study, potlucks, and Bingo to name a few.

Saturday is the day to plan your week. It  begins in the morning with coffee and a donut in the South Hall. Announcements of the weeks events and fellowship with new friends.
As the various activities are announced it becomes obvious there is 'something for everyone', those who would choose to 'watch' and those who choose to DO.  As one fella noted, "I don't eat dirt".  In other words, He will be a doer. :)
Tiny house or not there is cleaning and shopping to be done, only on a much smaller scale.
Having raised 5 children and sharing our home and table with many of their friends and ours; it has been a challenge, for years, to cook and shop for two. When we are in our home in Montana; with the possibility of family dinners or guests at any time, having extra food in the pantry and freezer is a "smart" idea..RIGHT?? Well, that's MY story and I'm sticking to it!!
Our son-in-law once ask our grandson, "If I was lost in the woods and had one wish do you know what it would be?" To which our grandson very excitedly replied, "NO, WHAT?" The answer..."Grandma's refrigerator!"
If you have followed my blog, or know me, you will know that I am ALWAYS up to a challenge. It seems to be a weakness of mine.
Currently my goal is "At the end of our 6 months in Arizona for the frig and cupboards to be close to bare. Striving to purchase only what we need from week to week." I have accepted this as a test of my innovative skills. Shopping and cooking have become adventures of their own. In reality it has become a fun undertaking, finding meals fit for two and creating new ways to make sure the leftovers are not 'left'. It has brought memories of years past when the budget required a plan and leftovers were rather known as 'recycleables" Meals were a sometimes a "WONDER" to be explored.

Enter the InstaPot!  It is currently the 'miracle of  kitchen appliances" and my newest friend. Because ANY challenge is more fun with a companion, RIGHT??  Having accepted this test I had created for myself it was time to get started. Menus are built, grocery list made and the learning has begun. "So far..so good" as my Mom used to say. Seems she had a adage for almost everything..but THAT, my friend is a story to come.
Meatloaf, ribs, chicken, eggs, and even cheesecake have successfully made their way to the table. The pot seems to be endless with it's provision of  deliciousness. For this dweller of a tiny home the challenge is on, the frig is looking less like the source of weeks of nourishment and the cupboards hold mainly the needed ingredients for the menu planned.

The challenge is going well, the budget is looking good and the tummy's are full. It feels great to 'get back to the basics' and have time to take a WALK IN THE DESERT of Arizona! Truth is, I am kinda falling in love with the 'simple life' again, which seems to be my ultimate goal in this life called retirement.

 Henry David Thoreau once said," Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify."  Sounds like great advise to me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment