Saturday, November 9, 2013

HOPE is not a strategy...





"Hope is NOT a strategy."

Our  Pastor used this quote from a friend as they were doing their workout in his sermon on Sunday. It has cirlcled around and around in my mind all week.

How true it is..

 I can hope for good health...but without a healthy diet and some added exercise it is not gonna happen. I can concentrate on one or the other but without a balance of good food and motion I will be lopsided in my health.

It is important to have a plan and follow it. Set a goal, create a plan of attack (my strategy) and then I will have HOPE of reaching my goal.

I can hope for a better relationship with that friend or loved one. Without making an effort to understand, forgive, or make that choice to love unconditionally there is a very small chance that the desired change will happen.

When I made my commitment to walk the 3Day 60 miles I didn't HOPE I would reach the finish line. Instead I trained hard, walking 1100 miles in advance of heading for Seattle. I walked on trails, on blacktop and climbed some mountains in preparation for whatever the route would bring my way. I knew I needed to prepare my mind as well as my body. When I took that first step I planned to walk every mile.
That first day confirmed the importance of that 'strategy.' I ended the day exhausted both physically and emotionally. I spent that evening questioning my ability to physically complete my mission and yet my mind assuring me that I would.
The following morning (4 AM) I rolled out of bed refreshed, and determined.  My training had paid off and I finished those 3 days ...88 total miles (it wasn't only the route we walked walking strong!
The interesting thing is, that when I made my commitment to this walk, my goal was to bring HOPE to others. My strategy was that by my doing the walking I would assist in bringing awareness to the need, raise money for research, assistance to those in treatment and to give encouragement to others.

My ultimate hope in the remaining years of my life is to be healthy, active and enjoying fun filled time with my husband, children and grandchildren. My strategy is to eat a healthy diet, continue to walk and exercise and to keep my priorities in order :) all the time realizing that God has the ultimate control and plan for my life. I rest in this promise...For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

What is that you are 'hoping' for?  Do you have a 'strategy' to see it become reality?





No comments:

Post a Comment