Friday, August 30, 2013

Family Dynamics

Family....Dad, Mom, Spouse, Children, Grandchildren,Grandparents,Brothers,Sisters,Nieces,Nephews, Aunts and Uncles...we could go on and on. With the mention of each, a new face flashes on the 'screen' of our memory. That one who always seemed to offer the hug when needed or the laugh in the midst of the dark time.

As I sit here considering the last few days and my time spent with family I am struck by the expectations we seem to automatically attach to each...and how our roles change with age... and of those roles how many I am in the midst of playing right now.

47 years ago I became a wife, and homemaker.  Through the years I became the Mom  of 5 and then the  Grandma of 16..Wow how did that happen? As Mom I became the "grown up" with responsibility. Responsible to cuddle and nourish my babies and toddlers. Guide my children in their char actor building years. Bringing discipline and love along with the teaching of practical life lessons. Finally watching them move on to creating their own homes and moving into their adult lives.

As Grandma I gladly accept my role for providing, LOVE, Encouragement, LOVE, Hugs, cuddles, and more LOVE!  Discipline ..."Not so much" :)

I am the youngest daughter and baby sister in a family of 8. Because of my family dynamic, my being the last child home for several years after the death of my father I learned responsibility early. I also was the beneficiary of all the extra little 'perks' of being the 'baby' of the family. Funny how being the 'baby' never changes in the minds of siblings :) I have found that to be a challenge as well as a blessing at times. Family dynamics can be such a mixed blessing but provides the opportunity to deal with difficult situations in the confines of love.

I am a niece to many cousins and and aunt to a bunch of  nieces and nephews. (some of which are the same age..now That has been fun!)

As I mentioned earlier each role brings with it it's own expectations from those around us. But more important is how I determine my role in the lives of those who call me Wife, Mom, Grandma, Aunt, or Cousin. My hope is to be an encourager extraordinaire to all those I have in my circle. Striving to share the love, mercy and grace that I daily experience through my Lord. Creating a life that brings a challenge to the heart and soul of each to be the best they can be.

Healthy, strong, and happy is my goal! Knowing that "The Joy of the Lord is my Strength" (Ne:8:10) and realizing that happiness is a choice.

Wishing you Health, Love and Peace, Joy and Happiness





No comments:

Post a Comment